How to stop breastfeeding ?
- Put in your mind 2 Objectives:
- Change the setting of your body.
- Teach your breastfed baby new habits of feeding
Keep calm, stay away from nervousness zone. It simple, natural process
Gradual weaning ( The drop way)
- HOW TO: Start to drop 1 breastfeeding session every 5-7 days time.
After, you can think about losing another one.
Take into your consideration during gradual weaning:
- Babies respond differently: so it’s a matter of going by sense.
- For a baby under 12 months: drop the feed your child is least interested in first. Leave the ( Nap time + 1st at morning ) ones the last to be cut as these are the most preferable to your infant.
- Be patient. As much milk, you produce, as long as it takes to dry up your breasts. It may take more than 1 month to accomplish that task.
Replace the dropped feeding
You (by weaning your baby ) break a survival habit of 1 year or more. Be smart and introduce the suitable replacement for the dropped session.
If your baby between 6-8 months: Give plenty of other drinks ( u may use baby formula in bottle or cup )
If baby younger than 1 year: Use Cow’s milk or Snack of his favorite food
Increase the gaps between the times you feed your baby
Don’t offer or Don’t Refuse
Wait to be asked from your sweet. It is another approach is to adopt. Within reason, you comply, but actually, you don’t sit or lie down as you might once have done, and offer.
Use cold pads
Between feeds, if the breasts are feeling a bit full and sore. That would decrease the breast blood supply, which inhibits more swelling or inflammation.
Reduce express time
In the case of breast pumping: gradually reduce the expressing sessions. You may also reduce the power of suction if an electrical breast pump is used.
Use baby pacifier
To satisfy your baby’s sucking need. Don’t dip the pacifier in sugar or honey before baby use.
One breast only
To be introduced at each feed
Change the routine
Modify the position, place, go outside, the timing. All that factors may contribute to making your baby less interested in breastfeeding cession.
Keep the physical closeness
Remember : Your breast is not only for feeding . It is the source of comfort & calmness for your breastfed baby . Cuddling and playing plus skin to skin contact with your baby may be suitable replacement
Hand express for comfort only.
Apply Breast massage
- with the flat of the hand towards the nipple in a hot shower. To relief distension & stimulate the blood circulation which contain natural anti-inflammatory .