The working mother is up trending now in 2017.
As a result, I can see you Google the term “best bottles for breastfed babies”.
And being pushed by dozens of e-commerce sites introduce a bunch of different baby bottles for breastfed babies.
Naturally, questions run through your head like:
- Glass baby bottles or plastic is the best for my breastfed baby?
- Should I use what called anti colic bottles ?? Do it really help?
- What about a baby bottle that mimics breastfeeding…How it works ? are they the best bottles for breastfed infants?
- Why Dr. Brown offers the natural flow bottle? what does it mean?
We would answer all of that. Keep watching
Please, keep these 2 secrets while you are reading:
1- Bottle feeding must not affect your milk supply
2- Mimic the breastfeeding process while bottle feeding is the key to success.
First: Combining breastfeeding & bottle feeding need a Plan
For using bottles for breastfed babies, you should have breastfeeding plan like this one:
Extend breastfeeding either by:
- Direct breastfeeding when you at home.
- Breast pumping when you are back to work or being busy.
- Exclusive breast pumping:
When direct breastfeeding is not an option (in some situations). In this case, store it, introduce later in a baby bottle when you are not around.
Vision (for what time)
- 6 months of Exclusive breastfeeding (only breast milk).
- Solid food introduction @ the 7th month.
- Maintain breastfeeding up to 1-2 years.
Risks to avoid
- Baby bottle refusal: it is normal while silicone (or rubber) nipple is far from your nipple.
- Decreased milk supply by time
- Nipple confusion
Second: Combining breastfeeding & bottle feeding reasons
Why you need to express milk and using breastfeeding baby bottle beside direct breastfeeding
- Your baby at intensive care unit ( premature or low birth weight).
- Baby health issues (example: tongue tie)
- You are back to work.
- Nursing mom diseases or on certain medications.
- You need more freedom and flexibility or rest to sleep.
Fortunately, most medicines are not in need to be discontinued during breastfeeding.
When should you start baby bottle introduction?
- If you are planning to return back to work
It is preferred to wait 4 -6 weeks after birth where breastfeeding is well established ( to avoid nipple confusion or breast refusal)
Also, before you go back to work by 2 weeks.
- If mom or baby has any health issues
You would immediately start where direct breastfeeding isn’t available.
- Fresh expressed (pumped) breast milk
- Thaw the stored frozen breast milk
Share this Image On Your Site
Bottles for breastfed babies: The specification
It could be any bottle.
The point here is to mimic breastfeeding in everything.
And for that reason, baby bottle brands invest millions of dollars in developing something like:
- Breastfeeding bottle
- Anti-colic bottle
- Natural Flow bottles….and so on.
But from the tips mentioned in our infographic, 50% of that would be your responsibility as a mom.
Here are what should you do:
1 -Mimic breastfeeding session duration
- In the first days, it may last for 30 mins.
- By the time, your breastfed baby becomes an expert in extracting milk from your breasts in around 10 -20 mins.
Action: Offer breastfeeding bottle to your baby up to 20 mins/session
2- Mimic breastfeeding in its rhythm
Did you know? Breast milk is not ejected immediately when your baby is sucking.The process -when your baby is sucking your breast- is consisting of 2 phases (Production and… Click To Tweet
1 – The stimulation phase to produce milk
- When your baby is sucking, your mammary glands start to manufacture the breast milk (Prolactin hormone-mediated)
2 – The production phase
- After around 2 – 5 mins, baby starts to receive the breast milk (Oxytocin hormone-mediated)
On the opposite side, sucking from the baby bottle would immediately bring the milk to your baby.
It is only one phase process (production), thus it is much easier than from your breast.
- Pick the baby bottle nipple with flow rate equal 1 drop/sec
- Don’t go for too large nipple = fast flow
- Nor too narrow = obstruction.
- Make pauses while your baby is bottle feeding. Stop a little then continue, that is like breastfeeding let down reflex (Milk Ejection Reflex)
Breastfeedo saysMimic breastfeeding would diminish your baby colic opportunity, which could happen due to over feeding and baby stomach distention. So you, he, and all family members could sleep enough. Add on that, you would decrease the opportunity to develop nipple confusion of flow preference.
Is your baby bottle clean as your breast (skin)?
Absolutely not. Before preparing to bottle feed your baby, pay attention to:
- Satiety (fullness) is felt late by your baby when bottle feeding.
- He sucks from the bottle and reaches the fullness state but feel that after time.
- That leads to metabolic overload and bad digestion.
- Up right your baby while bottle feeding.
- By doing that, you eliminate the chance of ear infections and dental caries.
- Switch your baby with his bottle as you switch between the 2 breasts
Baby weight gain is much higher when using a bottle
- A baby bottle which contains breast milk or others has the easy milk flow.
- Not like the letdown flow of milk from breasts which is harder to suck the milk.
- So, mode of milk delivery affects the baby weight.
Breast milk supply affected when:
- Feeding your baby with Baby bottle in a regular manner.
- Especially in case of exclusive pumping ( EPing )
“It sometimes helps to drip a little familiar-tasting breast milk on the baby’s lips or tongue at first to give him an idea of what you are doing”American Academy of Pediatrics[/cs_column][/cs_row][/cs_section]
Best bottle for breastfed baby is the one that your breastfed baby accepts
Your baby sucks from bottle much easier than from your breast
- Your breast is wider and heavier.
- The milk flow from your breast takes time and not at one rhythm.
Naturally, your baby would refuse the harder way (your breast) preferring the easy way ( baby bottle ).
- Use wide neck baby bottle (wide, heavy)
- The baby bottle teat (nipple): choose the silicone, slow flow
1- Your baby must mouth catch the wide part of the baby bottle nipple, not the slim part.
2- You can achieve that by touching his nose using bottle nipple.
3- Bottle fed baby may be more obese than breastfed one, due to overfeeding (easy milk flow)
Change the timing
I mean introducing it before you really need it.
- Example: if you plan to back to work after 3 months, start from month 2 to introduce the baby bottle gradually.
- Start with your nipple, then steal the moment to the bottle.
Breastfeedo saysThe baby bottle may be introduced as a baby toy (Plastic and empty). That shortens the distance, makes it familiar for your baby.
Baby bottle nipple (teat) change
- Try the proper size of the same age
- Try to change from rubber to silicone
- Start with the rounded teat (most popular). If not, try others like the orthodontic teat, drop shape teat.
Change you (not kidding)
- Stay away at that moment. Your honey can smell you and recognize that the best is here.
- So take a break, leave the room if your baby refused the bottle offered by you
- Instead, Dad could introduce the baby bottle to your honey.
- And if dad is not here, it could be the babysitter, grandma.
Change your mind and way of thinking
Here is the thing, you have to communicate with your baby.
- Listen, understand, and watch him while breastfeeding times.
- Make your baby relax (not to be upset or angry).
- Don’t enforce him to do anything and obey his mood.
- Be creative and flexible
Change the temperature
Do you know what is the temperature of the expressed breast milk ?
equal 37 Celsius
But how to reach??
You can reach that temperature -regarding breast milk in the bottle- by either using:
- A baby bottle warmer
- Water bath (with a thermometer dipped in)
- Silicone artificial nipple does not equal your skin. Hence, the temperature of the baby bottle teat should be slightly warmer. You can do that under warm tap water.
Never to enforce your baby
Regarding finishing the whole amount of prepared breast milk in the breastfeeding bottle.
Once he reliefs the nipple, so he is done.
Simply, you can notice that your baby is full:
- if he slept
- No sucking or slow down
- No swallowing sounds
- Relaxed hands and arms
- Baby lets the bottle & refuses it again when offering
Introduce the bottle kindly, and gently without pushing it.
- It is better for your baby to catch (pull) the baby bottle nipple, rather than to push it into his mouth.
How to do it?
- Lightly hit your baby’s nose with bottle nipple.
- That would encourage him to catch the bottle & guarantee his wide mouth opening.
Change the bottle and start with a baby cup first
- Use it or a spoon (plastic – rubber coated) or a large medicine dropper at the beginning of the feeding.
- Then, introduce the bottle at the near meal end.
- By the time, you should see better acceptance for the baby bottle.
Finally, you may change
1- Feeding position change
- From standing to swaying, or walking and vice versa.
Mimic breastfeeding in baby’s position:
- Tilt (angel) the bottle where milk fill the whole nipple
- Keep your baby’s head in line with his back
- Switch between the right side and left one as u do with your breasts in lactation process.
2- Change the place ( room )
3-Change the atmosphere
- Play music, vacuum, machine, birds, sounds, songs, and even finger click.
- Implement the breastfeeding habits (cuddling, move around the house)
Most of the previous tips could be applied when using a pacifier also, as it is an artificial nipple and your breastfed baby may resist it at the begining. Check our pacifier visual guide.
Share this Image On Your Site
Types of baby bottles
Baby bottles are either made from silicone, plastic, glass or stainless steel. In the case of breast pump, it comes with its bottle(s).
- It is the most popular.
- Could be frozen.
But it can’t be boiled where plastic changes in high temperature.
- It is good for heat-resistance.
- Also, it is chemically stable & inert (don’t omit any chemicals or react with milk.)
- Even it may be unbreakable.
But it is heavy. Your breastfed baby can’t hold it until he is 1 year. Add on, it can’t be used in breast milk freezing.
Anti-colic baby bottles
- Brands tend to market the idea of anti colic baby bottles.
- The idea is to reduce the swallowed air during baby suckling, as it is believed such is an important cause of colic and distension.
Disposable baby bottles
May be helpful when you forget your baby bottle in outdoor picnics and so on.
How can I avoid the baby bottle contamination?
In other words, Should I sterilize the baby bottle after each feeding?
Fortunately, you shouldn’t. This is for healthy full term babies. Consider the following points:
- Sterilization is preferred when your baby is under 6 months.
- At least once per day, where his immunity is still growing.
- In that case, prepare 2 sets of bottles, one is being sterilized and the other one is in use.
At the end of the day, do the following to clean the baby bottle and all breast pump parts:
- Wash your hands.
- Detach every part alone.
- Use hot water + soap.
- Buy a suitable baby bottle brush.
- Drying process couls be done by upside down all parts on a clean towel.